Library Home - UMA Library Portal
Welcome to UMA Libraries!
- Providing exceptional customer service to faculty, staff, students, and community, by our professional staff;
- Instructing a variety of stakeholders in the principles of information competency, critical thinking, intellectual independence, and lifelong learning skills by providing assistance in locating, evaluating, and effectively using a wide variety of information sources;
- Curating digital and physical information resources based on faculty and curriculum needs and according to best practices of library collection management;
- Delivering distance service that meets or exceeds the ACRL Distance Learning Library Services Standards;
- Cultivating accessible and welcoming physical spaces and face-to-face research help on both UMA campuses, contributing to the quality of campus life;
- Fostering a comfortable and safe learning environment for a diverse student population to ensure that they feel respected by reducing library anxiety and feelings of marginalization;
- Collaborating with sister libraries in the University of Maine System and the state of Maine to expand access to information and reduce costs; and by
- Protecting each individual's right to privacy with respect to information requested and materials consulted.
207.621.3349 / firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bennett D. Katz Library sits at the center of the Augusta campus adjacent to the Michael Klahr Center. Equipped with computer technology, areas for quiet study and group activities, and quick access to staff and faculty, the Katz Library services a variety of community needs.
207.262.7900 / email@example.com
The Nottage Library welcomes you to our space on the first floor of Belfast Hall at UMA Bangor. Here you will find comfortable furniture, group areas, quiet study spaces, and plenty of computer terminals. Staff are happy to assist you in finding the information you need and learning how to use it.
Using The Library
We are happy to help you. Here are some tips that will help you get the most out of your library visit.
- Please bring your student ID card every time you come to the library. You need it to borrow books, use the photocopier, and print from our computers.
- Please check in with us after you get your student ID so that we can activate your card. Once that happens, you can do a lot of research from home — we’ll show you how.
- We have computers and WiFi access for both students and guests.
Students can borrow books, DVDs, and other items for the following periods:
- Books: 4 weeks
- Periodicals & Maine File: 1 week
- Videos: 2 weeks
- Course Reserves: varies – please call ahead for details.
Be sure you know the due date for any library materials you check out. We will send you a notice of any overdue books. Returning or renewing books promptly at this point will avoid all fines. Your next notice will be an emailed and printed bill for $55.00. If you return books after they have been billed to you, your cost for URSUS books will be removed.
If no one else is waiting for the books checked out to you, you may renew them by phone, in person, or through the online catalog (URSUS). Renewal lets you avoid all overdue notices and bills. Periodicals, Maine File materials, videos, and reserves cannot be renewed.