Contact us for reference questions, instruction in the use of library resources, and any other research-related needs.
|Katz Library - UMA Augusta||Nottage Library - UMA Bangor|
Who We Are
Interim Director, UMA Libraries
Assistant Director, Katz Library
Reference & Instruction Librarian, Nottage Library
Library Specialist II
Library Specialist II
Questions We Answer
The types of questions best handled by chat are ready reference (quick research and answer) and instruction in the use of OneSearch, the URSUS book catalog, databases and journals, and other resources. For reference questions that take a longer time to research and cannot be answered during a chat session, we will either reply through e-mail or call you, providing you leave us a daytime phone number where you can be reached. The types of questions we handle by e-mail are the same as for chat. In addition, we can answer more extensive reference questions.
Questions We Do Not Answer
The following are examples of the types of questions we cannot answer, but for which we may be able to provide a source:
- Medical or law-related advice
- Product evaluations, appraisals
- Legal questions, tax questions
Please be aware that the timeliness of the replies depends on when the e-mail was originally sent. If an e-mail is sent on Friday evening, or during holidays, there may be a delay in our response time.
Terms and Conditions
Before using our services you need to read the applicable rules and policies pertaining to the chat and email services. By using these services, we understand you have read the applicable rules and policies regarding the chat and email services and have agreed to these rules and policies.
Rules pertaining to the questions submitted to our services:
- We may refuse to answer questions.
- We may refuse services to you if we determine you are not using our services in the way in which they were meant to be used. This includes, but not limited to, questions that are: illegal, harassing, libelous, threatening, harmful, obscene or objectionable, or that violates any applicable local, state, national, or international law or regulations.
- You agree that your question will enter the public domain, and you will retain no ownership rights to your question.
All reference transactions are confidential. For statistical purposes, we will keep track of the questions and number of users–but not specific information on the users. Transcripts may be kept for a period of time to help us evaluate our service and help us with collection development.