How do I preview my Brightspace course as a "Learner"?
Every course in Brightspace now has “Preview Learner” as a student available to you in the classlist. Instructors now are able to "Impersonate" this “learner” (but every student in your classlist) to get a real-life student preview of your course.
While impersonating a “Preview Learner” in your own course you may explore your course from the student’s perspective: take your own quizzes, complete assignments, verify restrictions to your items, or check if your learning materials are displaying the way you designed them.
Brightspace Essentials (Workshop recording, 18 min, chapterized)
Brightspace Essentials (Workshop Recording, 18 minutes)
Turn on closded captions! "Brightspace Essentials" is the session for those who are planning to make their first steps in Brightspace. We will cover only the basics to help you get started: how to create a course structure, add files, videos and discussion modules for your learners.
All closed captions have been verified.
Compare & Contrast Blackboard and D2L Brightspace (Workshop recording, 30 mins)
Chapters will be added soon
Where can I find UMA-specific Brightspace tutorials for Instructors?
You can find Brightspace Tutorials for UMA Instructors in 2 locations:
1. On our Faculty Portal: https://mycampus.maine.edu/web/uc-faculty-portal/brightspace-quick-video-tutorials
2. UMA Faculty Orientation to Brightspace (UMS login required): https://courses.maine.edu/d2l/home/7026
Live remote help (on Zoom) is available at the UMA Faculty Development Center, Mo-Fri, 10-4: http://zoom.us/j/2072627979
Where do I order textbooks for my courses?
To define textbooks for the courses, please go to my.uma.edu, click on UMA Quick Links - eCampus Textbook Requisition
Respondus Lockdown Browser (Instructors and Students)
LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within a learning management system.
How LockDown Browser Works
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
Using Kaltura In Teaching
This is ANY TIME Training.
Kaltura and Brightspace course
- 05:12 - How To Configure Course Media Gallery
- 02:52 - How to Upload Media
- 03:00 - How to Use Course Media Gallery
- 07:27 - How to Edit Media
- 05:40 - How to Use My Media
- 03:24 - How to Add Co-Publisher or Co-Editor
- 02:17 - How to Install the Kaltura Capture Application
6 - How to Embed Media in Context of Blackboard Course
- 01:31 - Interactive Video Quiz Gradebook in Blackboard
- 03:11 - How to add Chapters and Slides Using the Timeline Tab
Learning Zoom (Beginners)
Blackboard Essential Training for Instructors
Get the Blackboard training you need to quickly enroll students and start creating assignments. Patrick Crispen shows instructors how to customize their course sites, manage users, and add and organize course content, including multimedia and online assessments. He also shows how to enter scores, create grading periods, and more in the Grade Center.
If after experiencing this training you have questions contact email@example.com
Blackboard Grade Center
The University provides reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities upon request. Any person with a disability who needs accommodations for a workshop should contact the Faculty Development Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 262-7979 to submit a request. Due to the lead-time needed to arrange certain accommodations, individuals should submit their request no later 1 week before the event.