Upcoming Workshops - Faculty Portal
Brightspace Learning Sessions (LIVE)
The UMA Faculty Development Center is excited to announce a series of introductory Brightspace learning sessions beginning next week. The basics to get you up and running!
These sessions will assist you with your transition from Blackboard to Brightspace.
What you say about us:
"Wow. The FDC is the most amazing help I've received ever! Worked here 22 years. Kudos to all. Thank you so much! You are a great team. 24/7. You go above and beyond. Much appreciated!" - Terry L.
Brightspace Essentials (Workshop Recording, 18 minutes)
Turn on closded captions! "Brightspace Essentials" is the session for those who are planning to make their first steps in Brightspace. We will cover only the basics to help you get started: how to create a course structure, add files, videos and discussion modules for your learners.
All closed captions have been verified.
Every course in Brightspace now has “Preview Learner” as a student available to you in the classlist. Instructors now are able to "Impersonate" this “learner” (but every student in your classlist) to get a real-life student preview of your course.
While impersonating a “Preview Learner” in your own course you may explore your course from the student’s perspective: take your own quizzes, complete assignments, verify restrictions to your items, or check if your learning materials are displaying the way you designed them.
Yes, we can definitely help you with this daunting task. If you have a repository of test, quiz or exam questions in text format, the FDC will convert those questions for you to an online format for easy use in Brightspace. You just need to provide the questions. Some question type limitations apply. Email your request to email@example.com
Yes, Faculty Development Center will help! Kaltura video links converted from Blackboard to Brightspace may be broken and unable to be used. Per instructor request, the FDC will review and fix broken video links within your new Brightspace course. Please send your request firstname.lastname@example.org
LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within a learning management system.
How LockDown Browser Works
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
You can find Brightspace Tutorials for UMA Instructors in 2 locations:
1. On our Faculty Portal: https://mycampus.maine.edu/web/uc-faculty-portal/brightspace-quick-video-tutorials
2. UMA Faculty Orientation to Brightspace (UMS login required): https://courses.maine.edu/d2l/home/7026
Live remote help (on Zoom) is available at the UMA Faculty Development Center, Mo-Fri, 10-4: http://zoom.us/j/2072627979